The mission of the Program is to educate students in the field of Animal Sciences through participation in coursework, research, and outreach. The overall goal is to place emphasis on developing critical thinking skills and independent intellectual growth - qualities that are highly desired for professional schools or employment in our discipline.
In pursuit of this mission, graduates will have met the following Program Learning Goals:
- Students will achieve broad, survey level knowledge of the Animal Science discipline in order to understand the future of the field and to appreciate its diversity.
- Students will be able to integrate basic biology and mathematical principles to assess higher concepts in animal physiology, nutrition, genetics, and reproduction.
- Students will be able to design and conduct experiments, critically analyze scientific data, and present the information in an understandable manner.
- Students will be able to communicate professional and/or technical information effectively (orally, in writing, and through electronic media).
- Students will be able to handle, care for, and respect domestic animals.